Add to your partner’s super and share the spoils

Make a spouse contribution. Get a tax break

A spouse contribution is a payment that you make into your partner’s super account (or your partner makes into your super account) from after-tax salary (i.e. your own pocket). 

A spouse can be your legally married partner or a de facto partner and includes same sex couples.  You must be living with your partner on a permanent basis to be eligible to make or receive a spouse contribution.

Spouse contributions help the low (or no) income earning spouse by boosting their super savings, while the contributing partner benefits by receiving a tax offset of up to 18%.

Under the current 2019/20 tax rules, if your spouse earns less than $40,000 per year, you can contribute up to $3,000 a year into their super account and you will receive a spouse contribution tax offset. (You can contribute more than $3,000, but you won't receive the tax offset on anything above $3,000).

To receive the full tax offset of $540, your spouse must be earning less than $37,000 per year and you need to contribute $3,000 to their account. 

You may be eligible to receive a partial tax offset if your spouse earns more than $37,000 per year, but it reduces to zero once your spouse earns more than $40,000 p.a.

You will need to check that the receiving spouse’s super fund is able to accept spouse contributions before going ahead.  If you are a member of GuildSuper, you simply need to complete a Spouse Contribution form, available at

Split your super with your spouse

Did you know you can choose to have up to 85% of your own super contributions transferred into your partner’s super account (or vice versa)?  It’s called ‘contribution splitting’ and is another way you can boost your spouse’s super savings.

Two types of contributions can be split:

  • Employer SG contributions, including any salary sacrifice contributions you’ve made; and
  • After-tax contributions, which is money you’ve contributed to super from your own pocket.

Contributions made between 1 July and 30 June any financial year can be split from 1 July to 30 June the following financial year.  You can only apply to split your contributions once in a financial year.

For more information about contributing to your partner’s super, including how much you can contribute (called contribution caps), visit or speak to your super fund.

Guild Trustee Services Pty Ltd. ABN 84 068 826 728. AFSL 233815. RSE License Number L0000611. Trustee for the Guild Retirement Fund ABN 22 599 554 834 (which includes GuildSuper). Before acting on any information, you should consider whether GuildSuper is right for you by reading the Product Disclosure Statement at